Founder of Basileia LLC
Gregg Kendrick is a certified trainer for the Center for Nonviolent Communication. With extensive experience in business management, Gregg’s specialty is working with those who want to integrate needs consciousness into a business, nonprofit or other organization.
He formerly was co-owner & CEO of a software technology training firm for 19 years whose clients were mostly large corporations & government agencies. Within this business, he brought an awareness of needs-based communication among the staff and transformed the structure & operation of the business to be a needs-centered culture. Awed by the potency of that experience, he has been a full-time consultant/trainer since 2004 using the integrated processes of needs-based communication (NVC) and Dynamic Governance (DG) to co-create living organizations where people matter. Other key business experience includes serving on several boards of directors of nonprofit & for-profit organizations and co-managing an investment fund for seven years.
In 2004, he founded Basileia LLC with the mission of co-creating organizations where people thrive amidst authenticity, connection, interdependence and solidarity using the processes of NVC and DG. An integral part of this mission is a vision of leadership based on inspiration, empowerment & trust rather than control, compliance and self-interest. Basileia offers workshops & consulting in NVC & DG, including mediation, coaching, mentoring, facilitating of meetings, and organizational development.
While Gregg focuses on integrating NVC & DG into organizations, as a trainer he also offers public workshops, one-on-one mentoring, and he has been a trainer at International Intensive Trainings with Marshall Rosenberg. A current passion is exploring needs through sound and movement through such activities as Playback Theater & Contact Improv. He resides in Charlottesville, Virginia, with his wife and three daughters.
Since my first encounter with NVC at an intensive training in Puerto Rico in 2002, I have been awestruck by its power to connect people even amidst conflict.
The people in my business were the first group with whom I shared my experience from this training. There were a number of people who wanted to learn the process, so we began a series of weekly lunch-hour NVC sessions to focus on learning NVC. Ultimately, it grew into a 2-year experiment to see how deeply we could live NVC within our business.
After our experience of integrating NVC into that business—and recognizing that nearly all of my professional experience is in managing/leading businesses—I have been drawn to envisioning how NVC can transform our businesses & other organizations. Inherent within this transformation is a new vision of “leader” as someone who leads through power-with rather than power-over.
In November 2004, after having exited my business in July, I took the leap of faith and decided to find a way to live this passion of NVC and create a livelihood for my family. I created an organization, Basileia LLC , whose vision is to co-create organizations where people thrive amidst authenticity, connection, interdependence and solidarity using the processes of NVC and DG.
I continue to be as awestruck as I was in my first encounter with NVC. I have a deep passion to live and to share this process. I especially have a passion to see organizations that serve life and authentic leadership that inspires rather than coerces. I know of nothing more meaningful or more fulfilling for me than this work.
Business & Professional
- Certified Trainer for the Center for Nonviolent Communication (CNVC)
- Founder, Basileia LLC, (2004 - present) uses the tools of Nonviolent Communication (NVC) & Dynamic Self-Governance (DSG) to co-create organizations where people thrive amidst authenticity, connection, interdependence and solidarity http://www.basileia.org
- Associate Trainer for the NVC Training Institute (2008 - 2012) http://www.nvcti.com
- Founder, Charlottesville Center for Compassionate Communication, (2002 - 2011) a non-profit division of Basileia LLC whose mission is to enhance the awareness and consciousness of Nonviolent Communication through education, research, and community projects
- President, CEO & Co-Owner, RRTC (1985 – 2004), a business that provided technical training services to corporations & government agencies. Integrated NVC into the structure and operations of the business during the period of June 2002 - July 2004
- Investment Manager & Co-Owner, Rugby Associates LLC (1996-2003), a private placement investment fund which invested in publicly traded U.S. corporations
Education & Personal
- BA Physics, Rice University, Houston, Texas, 1982, Magna Cum Laude
- Graduate, Spiritual Direction Institute taught by Msgr. Chester Michael (June 2001-May 2003)